Information about Nutritional Value (Nutrition Facts) is a list of processed nutrient and non-nutrient contents as processed food products are sold accordingly with a standardised format.
Basically information of Nutritional Value (Nutrition Facts) consists of :
– Serving size
– Number of serve
– Type and amount of non-nutrient content
– Type and amount of nutrient content
– Percentage of AKG
In connection with the enactment of BPOM Regulation Number 22 Year 2019 concerning Information on Nutritional Value (ING) on Processed Food Labels, here are the important points that you need to know:
1. The application of ING is compulsory on labels, except for ground coffee, powdered tea/powder, tea bags, bottled drinking water, herbs, spices and condiments. These products can still include ING on the labels, as long as they meet the requirements. However for alcoholic beverages, the use of ING is prohibited.
2. The application of ING in processed foods produced by micro and small scale business producers is implemented in stages, with reference to the nutritional value of processed foods to be determined through the Guidelines for Inclusion of Nutritional Value Information for Processed Foods Produced by Micro and Small Businesses.
3. New registration of processed food that is imported or produced by medium and large scale producers must include ING as evidenced by the results of nutrient analysis from government laboratories and/or other accredited laboratories. Minimum types of nutrients that must be listed in the ING Table are total energy, total fat, saturated fat, protein, total carbohydrates, sugar, and salt (sodium).
4. In the case of processed food that includes claims, the inclusion of ING tables is in accordance with statutory provisions.
Information about Nutritional Value (Nutrition Facts) is very important, so that consumers can know the nutrition of the food consumed. Thus, they can help to maintain healthy bodies and reduce disease risks.
Companies having their own import licenses are allowed to access BPOM’s online registration system. However, you need to make sure that all of your products comply with the safety and standard requirements. Then, you can proceed with the application.
As regulations may change from time to time and due to unfamiliarity, it is best for foreign investors to consult a product registration specialist like Cekindo. Our team will submit all the required documents on your behalf, and guide you through the process, which consists of three steps. If your application is approved, you will get a Makanan Luar (ML) registration number.
In short, the registration process for food and beverages in Indonesia is:
Each registration number is valid for five years and can be renewed before it expires. It is highly recommended to start with the extension process six months before the end of its validity. If early extension is not possible, the deadline for extension is maximum 10 days before the expiration date.
As a leading consulting company in Indonesia, Cekindo provides one-stop services that are delivered by its experienced and knowledgeable business consultants and specialists in each field.
Reach out to us now to discuss your need for food and beverage product registration in Indonesia. Fill in the form below.