Foreigners residing in Indonesia with temporary stay permits (KITAS) or permanent stay permits (KITAP) are entitled to a Driving License or Driver’s License, also known as Surat Izin Mengemudi (SIM). Other basic requirements for this license application in Indonesia include passing both practical and theoretical tests and being 17 years of age or older.
Classes of Driver’s License in Indonesia
There are four common classes of driver’s license in Indonesia, as follows:
- SIM A: private passenger cars or vehicles weighing under 3,500kg.
- SIM B1: vehicles weighing over 3,500kg.
- SIM B2: heavy vehicles with their own trailers.
- SIM C: motorcycles.
For foreigners, only SIM A and SIM C can be applied.
Required Documents to Apply for a Driving License in Indonesia
The following documents must be prepared by expatriates who want to obtain a driving license:
- Original passport and its copy.
- Original, valid KITAS / KITAP and its copy.
- A copy of driving license from the country of origin or a copy of international driving license (if applicable).
- A copy of the latest entry stamp to Indonesia in your passport.
- A doctor’s note of good health (can also be issued by the police).
Procedure for The Application of a Driving License in Indonesia
Foreigners must go through the following procedure to obtain a driving permit:
- Go to the police station in the city or region of residence. For example, expatriates in Jakarta must go to Satuan Pelaksana Administrasi SIM (SATPAS) Polda Metro Jaya and expatriates in Bali must go to Polresta Denpasar.
- Find your way to “Bagian Pembuatan SIM”. First of all, you will be required to provide a health certificate. If you do not have one, you can have your eye and blood pressure checked on site.
- Then, you will have to take the theoretical test and practical test. The theoretical test is written in Indonesian language and requires you to choose between True and False. The practical test includes driving zig-zag, driving straight forward and backward and parallel parking, among others.
- After the tests, you will be asked for your fingerprints and have your signature taken.
- Finally, you go to the bank to pay for your application. After receiving a bank slip, you proceed with filling out an application form and submit all the required documents along with the bank slip at a designated window.
Driving License Application in Indonesia with Cekindo
Even though the procedure for the driving license application has been elaborated clearly, many foreigners still find it challenging when they apply for a driving license on their own, particularly because the procedure may be quite different from the procedure in their home country.
Normally, it takes at least 1 (one) day for the whole procedure to be completed, provided that the foreigners submit all required documents. There is, however, no guarantee that the application will be approved and a driving license will be issued.
Having a team of experts with years of experience in the field, Cekindo can assist you in applying for your driving license. Rest assured, the process will be hassle-free as your presence is not required (except for fingerprint and photo-taking) and faster as an experienced professional will apply on your behalf, with a guarantee of the license being issued.
You would not have to worry about failing the tests and so on.
Reach out to us now, via the form below, to immediately assist you with your driving license application in Indonesia.