The number of foreign nationals coming to Indonesia and applying for permanent residency has been growing compellingly. There are many reasons foreigners choose to become permanent residents in Indonesia, the most common ones are family and work-related.
To obtain a permanent residency to live and work legally in the country, there are criteria and requirements that a foreigner needs to fulfill. That also includes the obligations and responsibilities of being a permanent resident in Indonesia.
So what is a permanent resident in Indonesia, then? A lawful Indonesian permanent resident is someone who has the legal right to live in Indonesia without a limited time period.
Indonesian permanent residents will be given a permanent residency card to prove their residency status. A permanent resident in Indonesia can still keep their citizenship in their country of origin without giving it up.
Every time a permanent resident travels in and out of Indonesia, they will need to present their country’s passport as well as the Indonesian permanent resident card for identification.
Benefits of Being a Permanent Resident in Indonesia
For foreigners who have to start a family or business, or work for a company in Indonesia, having a permanent residency permit that allows them to stay long-term is critical.
Apart from that, a permanent residency also brings many other benefits for foreigners acquiring the status. Here are some of the major benefits:
- Travel freely all over Indonesia
- Become a company’s director or investor
- Have a legal tax identification number
- Apply for loans
- Jointly own a property with their Indonesian spouse anywhere in Indonesia
- Obtain a five-year Indonesian identity card
- Take part in civic forums
- Own a car
- Open a bank account
- Eligible for local prices of tourist attractions which are relatively lower
- Freedom to enter and exit Indonesia with a two-year multiple-entry permit
Types of Residency in Indonesia
Foreigners can find two types of residency permits in Indonesia:
1. Temporary Residency Permit (ITAS/KITAS)
- Two-year validity
- Renewable for three times
- Approximately four-month application process
2. Permanent Residency Permit (ITAP/KITAP)
- Prerequisite: an ITAS/KITAS holder for at least five years continuously
- Five-year validity
- Renewable for five times
How to be Eligible for Becoming a Permanent Resident in Indonesia
There is a certain process to go through before you can be eligible and fully acquire an ITAP:
- Get a sponsorship letter from a local company.
- Get the recommendation from the Directorate General of Immigration.
- Submit required documents along with the letter and recommendation to obtain a KITAS or VITAS (Limited Stay Permit), depending on your circumstances, to the Indonesian Embassy.
- You can convert your KITAS to KITAP and become a permanent resident in Indonesia after holding the KITAS/ITAS for more than five years consecutively.
Please note that your Indonesian permanent residency may be revoked if you misuse or abuse your granted status, or found guilty of illegal activities.
How Cekindo Can Assist with Permanent Residency Application
An Indonesia permanent residency visa is a huge step forward for foreigners who consider Indonesia their second home. It is also suitable for foreigners who are passionate to contribute to the success of Indonesia’s economy.
To become a permanent resident in Indonesia, you will need to keep up-to-date about the most current permanent residency regulations and requirements. You will also have to determine your eligibility and whether your permanent residency in Indonesia can be extended to your spouse and children.
Cekindo offers a whole range of professional advisory services to help you become a permanent resident in Indonesia. All immigration and permanent residency matters have to go through stringent processes at the Indonesian Department of Immigration and Foreign Affairs.
As one of the most reputable consultants in Indonesia, our agents have extensive regulatory knowledge to help make your permanent residency application a hassle-free one.
Contact us via the form below and get a quick response.